- Ringworm of the body (tinea corporis) is a rash caused by a fungal infection. It’s usually a red, itchy, circular rash with clearer skin in the middle. Ringworm gets its name because of its appearance. No worm is involved.
- Ringworm of the body is related to athlete’s foot (tinea pedis), jock itch (tinea cruris) and ringworm of the scalp (tinea capitis). Ringworm often spreads by direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected person or animal.
- Mild ringworm often responds to antifungal medications that you apply to your skin. For more-severe infections, you may need to take antifungal pills for several weeks.
- Human to human : Ringworm often spreads by direct, skin-to-skin contact with an infected person.
- Animal to human: You can contract ringworm by touching an animal with ringworm. Ringworm can spread while petting or grooming dogs or cats. It’s also fairly common in cows.
- Object to human: It’s possible for ringworm to spread by contact with objects or surfaces that an infected person or animal has recently touched or rubbed against, such as clothing, towels, bedding and linens, combs, and brushes.
- Soil to human: In rare cases, ringworm can be spread to humans by contact with infected soil. Infection would most likely occur only from prolonged contact with highly infected soil.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS
- A scaly ring-shaped area, typically on the buttocks, trunk, arms and legs
- A clear or scaly area inside the ring, perhaps with a scattering of red bumps
- Slightly raised, expanding rings
- A round, flat patch of itchy skin
- Overlapping rings
- Live in a warm climate
- Have close contact with an infected person or animal
- Share clothing, bedding or towels with someone who has a fungal infection
- Participate in sports that feature skin-to-skin contact, such as wrestling
- Wear tight or restrictive clothing
- Have a weak immune system
- A fungal infection rarely spreads below the surface of the skin to cause serious illness. But people with weak immune systems, such as those with HIV/AIDS, may find it difficult to get rid of the infection.
1.Tellurium: For Ringworm Infection with Lesions on Large part of Body
Tellurium is the best natural medicine when Ringworm eruptions cover a large part of the body. Here, the Ringworm lesions join one another and eventually cover a large area of skin. The body is densely covered with intersecting ring lesions. The Ringworm eruptions with clear margins are easily detectable on an increased surface of the skin for using Tellurium. To select remedy Tellurium for treatment of Ringworm infection, the eruptions may appear on the whole body, on the face, or on limbs. The eruptions are marked by excessive itching and stinging sensation. The itching remains present throughout day and night. Cold air seems to worsen the itching. An offensive smell from the area covered with Ringworm eruptions is frequently noticed.
2. Sulphur: For Intense Itching and Burning
Sulphur is a very beneficial natural medicine for a large variety of skin diseases. In treating Ringworm lesions also, Sulphur is quite successful. The main complaint described by Ringworm patients that helps in selecting Sulphur is intense itching and burning in eruptions. The person goes on scratching the lesions but it does not seem to provide any relief. Only the intense burning sensation follows scratching. The itching is heightened at night in most patients who can benefit from Sulphur. It is also of great help in all cases of Ringworm appearing on limbs, scalp, trunk, and face when accompanied by intense itching and burning. Sulphur helps to soothen the itching and burning, followed by the disappearance of eruptions. Sulphur is a deep acting natural remedy that can help in root extraction of Ringworm lesions if used for some time. Sulphur should always be the first Homeopathic choice in those cases of Ringworm that have been suppressed with local medications of varying kinds.
3. Sepia: For Ringworm in Isolated Spots
Sepia is the top natural remedy for Ringworm infection appearing in isolated spots. Although the Ringworm lesion for using Sepia can be noticed on any part of the body, the common location is the bends of the knee and elbow. Sepia gives wonderful results in the treatment of Ringworm eruptions appearing in bends of elbows or knees. The eruptions are accompanied by itching and scratching, though scratching does not provide any relief. Apart from these symptoms, increased sweating with or without a bad smell may be noticed in persons requiring Sepia. Another peculiar symptom for using Sepia is the recurrence of Ringworm infection in every spring season. Sepia can help in eradicating the tendency to have a Ringworm infection every time the spring season approaches. High sensitivity towards cold air may be found with these symptoms. The mental symptoms of utmost importance while recommending Sepia are irritability and indifferent behavior towards family, friends, and life.
4. Psorinum: Homeopathic treatment for Ringworm on scalp and bends of joints
Psorinum is an excellent skin remedy used for the treatment of Ringworm. Psorinum is mainly used for Ringworm infection of scalp and bends of joints. The eruptions are excessively itching. In most cases, the itching is enhanced in bed due to warmth. Hair loss is the key noticeable feature for using natural remedy Psorinum for Ringworm of the scalp (Tinea Capitis). In a few cases, the hair appears dry, rough and lustreless. Another key symptom is profuse sweating with bad odour throughout the body. This symptom must always be considered. High sensitivity to cold air is another prominent symptom to be noted for using Psorinum. The persons needing Psorinum cannot tolerate cold air even in summer weather.
5. Arsenic Album: For Scalp Ringworm
Arsenic Album is a very beneficial natural remedy for Ringworm of scalp. The scalp shows bald spots with intolerable itching. The scalp is rough and dry. Along with itching, there is an intense burning sensation. The symptoms of itching and burning are most markedly disturbing at night. Arsenic Album helps in all spheres to reduce itching, burning and also helps in regrowth of hair on bald spots. Apart from these local symptoms, a few general symptoms are also to be taken into account in selecting Arsenic Album for Tinea Capitis. The first is acute anxiety. The second is extreme restlessness. The next is fastidiousness with a desire for clean surroundings and objects to be placed at a proper place. Thirst for a small quantity of water at very short intervals is another important symptom which is significant for selecting Arsenic Album.